June 22 - July 1, 2018
Registration opens Saturday, April 28th, 2018 at 4:00 pm.
Friday, June 22nd, 2018 – 5:00 pm PST to Sunday, July 1st, 2018 – 3 pm PST (First Timers & Experienced)
- Priority is given to those committing to the full 10-day retreat. It is expected that participants for the full retreat attend every day (especially newcomers), not partial days.
- Day Commuters: ONLY current students (those who have attended a previous residential retreat, not just a 1-day event) may send an email to VSI no later than June 1st requesting to be a Day Commuter with no meals. Cost per day is $ 70.00 - no meals provided. Registration will be limited to ensure continuity in the zendo for silence and to create the optimal environment for meditating by lessening distractions.
- Before submitting a registration, Newcomers are required to attend the full retreat. A Newcomer is anyone who hasn't attended a residential retreat with Shinzen before (not just a 1-day event or any online sessions). Newcomers MUST ensure they are able to arrive early to settle in and attend the Welcome/Orientation which begins at 8 pm SHARP on Friday, June 22nd, followed by the Newcomer Only Meeting.
- Check-In: Friday, June 22, 2018: 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm at main office. The retreat schedule will begin at 7:30 pm with an optional sit followed by a welcome/orientation at 8:00 pm sharp (see retreat schedule once posted).
- Important: Please arrive during the designated check-in hours above as someone will be waiting to greet you during those times. If you arrive before the appointed times above and your room is ready, please ensure you officially check in with the Retreat Manager (not just Center Staff) at the times above.
- If you are unable to arrive in time (current students ONLY), please let us know in advance. Sorry, there are no adjustments in cost for late arrival or early departure.
- Dinner is not provided the evening of June 22nd; however tea, coffee and light snacks will be available.
- Please arrive in time to register, sign up for volunteer duties, and settle in before the Orientation/Welcome begins.
- Please Note: Once the designated single bedrooms are full in the main bedroom locations, single female registrants will be assigned a room in the overflow portion of the center which has shared showers/toilets. This is the year of change - single rates WILL apply now, not double as in the past. Singles are extremely limited at this retreat to allow for more participants in double occupancy rooms.
- If you indicated you'd be willing to be in an online room (see Retreat Activities), you will be contacted to confirm this as it will allow for more participants. Double/Single rates will still apply.
- There will be an option to choose extra animal protein at the dinner meal for an additional cost of $4.00 per meal (on registration form). As well, you may opt out of meals and supply your own (see MEALS & DIETARY NEEDS). If you wish to opt out of meals, please indicate that on the registration form, and you will be refunded a $400 meal discount AFTER registering.
- Out of respect for those who pre-register and organizational staff, there is no ‘at the door’ registration.
- DEPARTURE - The retreat schedule and silence ends at 1 pm on Sunday, July 1st, followed by lunch which is included in your retreat fee.
- When planning airline flights, including shuttle pickups, see the website under 'Retreat' for TRAVEL INFORMATION.
- STUDENT ASSISTANCE DONATION - As you know expenses for retreats are increasing while personal incomes often are not. This means that more people who want to – or need to – come to a VSI Retreat cannot afford the cost. We try our best to not turn someone away for financial reasons. Please help us live that policy. Financial assistance, general donations to VSI are above the retreat fees. If you would like to make a donation, please provide the amount on the Registration Form. Thank you!
- DEADLINE/CANCELLATION POLICY - Full payment is due at registration unless alternate arrangements are made with VSI. Cancellations between May 7-18 will receive a 75% refund; between May 19-June 10: 60% refund. If we are unable to fill your space, there will be no refund for cancellations after June 11.
Single Occupancy with meals - $ 1,950
Double Occupancy with meals - $ 1,440
Commuter with meals - $ 1,100
Student Assistance - Deposit of $ 850 towards a double occupancy room with meals (you will be contacted to discuss financial needs and payment balance).
Day Commuter (see criteria and fee above)
PLEASE REFER TO THE FAQs but specific to this retreat:
For Student Assistance or Diversity Funding, see RETREAT SPECIFICS for more information first. then choose the Student Assistance option fee which is a deposit ONLY on the registration form. Someone from VSI will contact you to discuss payment of the balance after the assistance is applied.
How should I prepare for the event?
Please read more about Shinzen's techniques and philosophies before you come to the retreat. Read BEFORE THE RETREAT for a list of suggested reading material.
29, 2018 - January 12, 2019